True Health or Not True Health

I am so excited to share this Facebook Live with you. All current practitioners – both newcomers and veterans to functional medicine science – are welcome. I bring you fresh knowledge and insight into the functional medicine interconnectedness at play with some fascinating case examples of the (often huge) difference between treating disease and reversing root causes.

At SAFM we teach our students to be both confident and highly skilled at “puzzle piecing” and finding the interconnectedness between the pieces of each patient’s unique case. This approach makes all the difference in the world in your business. Because here’s a truth you need to hear: Absence of symptoms and true health are NOT the same thing. We’ve got to be willing to dive into the detailed and unique interconnectedness for each person.

Although you may already be a savvy practitioner, I believe you will learn something new, that you can use right away in your practice.  Here are some of the things I discuss in this video:
  • The fundamental flaw that prevents conventional medicine from being effective in reversing chronic disease
  • The common mistake many practitioners make in looking for Root Causes of dis-ease (are you doing it too?)
  • Unexpected connections in hypertension: the common remedy worsens the very thing it’s supposed to be helping (this one will definitely surprise you)
  • Common conventional rapid relief intervention can even be life-threatening
  • A classic heart disease intervention actually increasing the risk of a tragic cardiovascular event
  • The most important true root causes of dis-ease that are missed – every single day! – by even savvy practitioners

If you are not yet a student of SAFM and still have pending questions, you can get more information about the Core 101 Semester Program here. Or click here and we can arrange for you to speak to a graduate of SAFM about our program and how it can help you in your specific situation.

139 Questions for “True Health or Not True Health”

Susan says:

Hi Tracy,
    I really enjoy listening to your pearls and this particular one really resonated with what I see in my practice. Please, could you further explain the mechanism by which a ‘cardio-selective beta-blocker’ such as bisoprolol could cause peripheral edema? I have always assumed it was the side effect of calcium channel blockers.
    Do beta-blockers cause or exacerbate venous insufficiency?

Indeed, antihypertensive drugs such as calcium channel blockers and direct vasodilators are most frequently implicated in the development of peripheral edema. They do so by redistributing body water to the extravascular space. Of the calcium channel blockers, the dihydropyridines are more likely to induce peripheral edema than are the phenylalkylamine or benzothiazepine classes, supposedly because of more selective arteriolar vasodilatation.
      Beta1-selective (cardioselective) adrenoceptor blocking agents, beta-blockers for short, can cause and exacerbate venous insufficiency and also result in peripheral edema, but the mechanism of this action is not fully understood yet.

Heathir McElroy says:

Tracy, you have a gift for presenting and sharing case studies and data with enthusiasm and curiosity. I love the “beginner’s approach” idea and how important that can be when we do step back and noodle a situation. Thank you for bringing your gifts to others!

Laura says:

Hi Tracy,
    Can functional medicine reverse Hashimoto’s thyroid issue? I’ve had thyroid issue since 2012 and my Nature throid medication is issuing to keep the number controlled. I would like to rid my body of this issue.

Mahjabeen says:

The principles of Functional Medicine DEEPLY resonate with me.. for the past 10 years I’ve been on a journey of reclaiming my health and well-being and have come a long way from being in a very dark place of being extremely unwell physically, mentally and emotionally.
    I’ve seen the places where traditional healthcare system has failed me and how it’s ways of just treating my symptoms but not it’s underlying causes.
    I want to be able to fully solve this puzzle of how one hacks this thing called wellness and thriving health and then be able to pay it forward.
    I really really hope I end up being the lucky one who is gifted the free course!!

Jo Coburn says:

I love all the information. I appreciate the way you teach. Can’t wait for September.

Mirima Zimela says:

I love how you explained the part med play in chronic disease process

Diane Beckwermert says:

I like how Tracy explains the difference between conventional & functional medicine. Conventional is good for triage and short term but not for long term or prevention health care. “ a pill for every ill” isn’t a solution but finding the root cause and proper nutrition & supplements should be implemented before medications .
    Always a pleasure to listen to you . Thanks for all you do

Lisa Vasquez says:

I am very excited every time I am able to add a new pearl of Tracy wisdom to connected to this chain link and develop such A new mind set on our body function. Hearing how chemistry relates in this cultivating. Family of healthy is truly a. Gift all by itself. Thank you TRACY YOUR. ON GOING METHODS ARE A BLESSING TO OUR FUTURE AND ALL THE PEOPLE YOU BRING TO THE TABLE.

Jelka says:

Amazing fact!—> That warfarin promptes calcification of the arteries…. WOW! As a Doctor of Nursong Prwvtitce Candidate (2 years left) they teach us the typical allopathic way of medicine. I never was on board 100% which is why I took a break for 2 long years. Last year I mulled it over and realized I must be the difference and follow what I knew was right. There is a time a place for true allopathic medics but in chronic reversible disease that is not one….

Thanks to Mike Mutzel for showing me what I always knew I was missing in the world of health care. This was functional medicine. I know feel at ease finishing my Doctorate and applying functional and integrative medicine in my practice! (My goal is to complete these both at the same time so I can meet the world as a doctor of nurse practitioning (DNP) that specializes in functional/integrative medicine!

Krissy says:

Tracy!! These fb lives are just too good!! 🙂
    The K1/K2 relationship was great as well as the calcium info and beta blockers/melatonin connection but the things that really stuck with me…basically touching on the “it’s all in your head” attitude so prevalent in conventional AND complementary/alternative medicine. I love that FM gets to the root to help validate the people that had been shamed about what they’re experiencing, reaffirming we need to listen to our patients intuition is huge!! But what got me the most was you talking about heart centered medicine and care! A little extra compassion and understanding is so needed right now!!
    Thank you so much for everything you share!!!

Miranda Adani says:

I like whatTracy said about how the difference between functional medicine and conventional medicine is the difference between health care and disease care. The healthcare model needs to change from the short term model of drugs and surgery to the long term model of managing chronic disease.

Socorro says:

Thank you for the information! I’ve watch many of the videos in the past & enjoy learning new details with each session.

Christine Vielhauer says:

All of your pearl videos are inspiring! I like the way you explained that a medication meant to help 1 organ or 1 cell in the body doesn’t make it to only that one body part/one cell and not expose the others also.
    Your pearl videos make it quite obvious that there can be good and bad in each medication/supplement etc.
    So it’s clear that bio individuality and balance is very important! Thank you for your time and sharing of your knowledge! I hope to enroll in SAFM in the near future.

Jelka leedle says:

Tracy,
    I have learned so much from you and Mike Mutzel! Wonderful and enlightening to hear you speak as always. Long story short conventional medicine, meds/drugs was all I was taught in my Doctorate in Nurse practice program. As a future NP I was saddened that this was what my life was going to revolve around:-(. I ended up stopping and took 2 years off…. I felt not finishing was the WRONG answer. I restarted last year and I am 2.5 years in and 2 to go! I will be the change, I will bring functional medicine into the current allopathic health Care model. When my professor told our class that they “want the easy way out.” …aka take a pill. I about died. I knew I had to be the difference. My doctoral capstone will be focused on integrative medicine. Starting your program in congruent with my DNP program specializing in adult/older adult care, obesity and diabetic care is exactly what I must do’. I would forever be greatful with your generous gift. Ingetgrative health care is a must and we must never treat “chronic” disease like acute diseases.

Tamara says:

Caught the replay. I always have fun watching your FB Live’s. Didn’t realize that Hypertension drugs weren’t tested for long term use. It makes sense to attempt to get people off but it doesn’t appear to be the immediate goal. Thanks for shedding light on that.

Lisa L says:

Don’t just ask your clients what medications they are taking now. Ask them what medications they took 2 years ago and stopped. A key root cause of disease is often far distant in time. I love this!

Rebekka Maestre says:

The part on medications is near and dear to my heart because I’ve had to help my dad get off glaucoma medications and even the eye drops because they were interfering with his memory and causing depression and violent moods. His regular explained to him that he does have dementia, but I could see how it developed or got a lot worse over the year and a half he was on them. I didn’t catch it until I was able to see the effects of the oral medication and research it. I found a reference that recommended psychiatrists be consulted when people go on glaucoma medications to assess risk. Just got him off, again! , and his mood is better an not violent. Also excited to review the blood pressure and beta blockers, I have a new client who is an RN who fits this, excited to work with her :-))